Monday 30 June 2014

The Censorship Totally Made it Better - Dani

Maturity comes in many shapes and forms. For instance, I am a married woman, but I still laugh awkwardly and get a weird lump in my throat whenever someone calls me ‘Mrs’. I’m old enough to buy my own dog, but if anyone describes me as that dog’s mummy, I go through a sort of white-out experience. Once, while tutoring some kids, I accidentally said ‘nipple’ instead of ‘nibble’ and I didn’t get so much as the urge to snicker, but I still make a happy mental note every time I see the number sixty-nine.

As for where South Park fits into that… well, let’s just say that I stand somewhere in between Backdoor Sluts 9 and Human CentiPad. I wasn’t allowed to watch the show as a kid, so when I was sixteen and I finally realised the freedom of having a computer in my bedroom, I binged on all eleven (at the time) seasons. I’m not immune to being grossed out, but I think I have pretty acceptable tolerance. Not to brag, but I do have photos of a dissected possum on my phone from my third-year biology class that I use to surprise people scrolling through to find cute dog pictures. So I kind of figured that Stick of Truth would be a pretty good candidate for the first game to break our oath to not buy any new ones until we finished all our existing games.

We knew it was a short game, so we kind of figured that if we finished it quickly, it wouldn’t count as breaking the rules. Besides, I really needed a break after seventy-something hours of Final Fantasy X. Apparently I forgot a destruction sphere and now I can’t get Anima unless I beat Dark Valefor and … ugh, well, that’s a discussion for another post.

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Status: Complete.

Why I didn’t finish it earlier: Hey, I only bought it like a week ago. I haven’t played anything else since getting it. I think I did fine.

Comments: Honestly, I thought it would be a bit of fun, but also kind of cheap. Maybe a few throw-backs to jokes from old episodes, very few actual laughs, and a mediocre story. And glitches. I expected a lot of glitches.

I don’t really know how else to begin critiquing this besides by saying I loved this game. It was so true in spirit to the show that I felt like a fangirl just by walking around the town, raiding people’s cupboards. One of the first lines of the game made me laugh out loud, as did the entirety of the last long cutscene.

And Jesus. When is Jesus not funny?


In the second act (I assume I don’t need to say it, but there will be pretty intense spoilers here), I actually felt intense, radiating happiness at betraying Cartman for Kyle. I wish my friends were as awesome at LARPing as these kids, because they’re better at it than the professionals. There are professional LARPers, right? Well, they suck compared to the South Park kids. Like Craig. Freaking Craig, that kid is so awesome. His detention mission felt like a goddamn heist movie and I loved it. When I was in year four, the only dressing up I did was a self-made eye patch for the time I got conjunctivitis.

The game wasn’t perfect, though, and in ways I kind of expected: namely, in the gameplay. They put such a huge amount of effort into the story and into keeping the atmosphere authentic that a couple of technical issues may have slipped through the cracks. Combat wasn’t exactly difficult, but there was a very specific section at the start of Day Three but before reaching level fourteen and getting the katana, in which my warrior could do virtually no damage because every enemy was super armoured. I just had to set them on fire and wait. Meanwhile Bill, playing a mage, could completely ignore all armour and defence while simultaneously setting them on fire and freezing them for quintuple damage. Oh, and healing him at the same time, so he could literally never die.

I know the warrior has some abilities that could have potentially helped me here, but even by the end of the game, I still never managed to successfully pull off the very first ability you learn. Or the second. So you can understand why I was a bit soured off them by the time I got the armour-destroying third one. Or was it the fourth? I lost track of how many I sucked at. Meanwhile, the mage’s first ability just needed you to mash the A button.

My point is, warrior was way harder than mage, and Bill is not just better at games than me.

I think some of the enemies could have been a bit more exciting, or required a bit more tactical sense on the player’s behalf, because I was pretty much following the exact same routine in each battle. Except at the beginning when Butters was my only companion and the enemies were riposting, but I had no choice but to attack with him anyway and watch him almost die.

Also, I don’t know how much I appreciate having my level capped. If I want to drastically overpower myself, I think I should be allowed. As it was, I just had no reason to get into fights (which the game helpfully pointed out), so I ran out of side missions much quicker. And with no extra cool post-campaign quests, running out of side missions was a big downer.

I felt I was pretty lucky with glitchiness – I only had one problem, in which Cartman had a line that he didn’t actually say, like he’d been temporarily muted. It was kind of a crucial line for the story, too, so it was lucky I had my subtitles on. Well, that was my only problem, until right at the end, when trying to abort the Snuke. I looked it up and saw that many people had problems during this sequence, but none the same as mine. In the third step of the abortion process, my vacuum just didn’t work. I couldn’t change the direction it was facing, so it just sat there, with me feeling gradually more awkward as the minutes passed, wondering, “Um… is this going for really creepy realism or something?”

From what I saw, Bill didn’t have many issues either, though when he did have them they were pretty noticeable. He was invisible for the entire gnomes cutscene, and his bed vanished for half of it as well. And of course, he just had to get the Hasselhoff makeover, which appears to trigger the most common glitch in the game by screwing up the aesthetics in your next save file. And that is why plastic surgery is evil.
All in all, I think this game is freaking awesome, and even though I have serious doubts about its replayability I fully intend to play again as a thief on nightmare difficulty, because I read that thief is the hardest and I’m a masochist.


http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2014/03/South-Park-AU.jpg

I hope one day to show my parents the bossfight in the abortion clinic and say, “And you thought watching South Park would mess up my morality and decency!”

No comments:

Post a Comment